Monday, November 9, 2009

Sister Susie


I put the song, "Coat of Many Colors" back up for Susie. She just loves Dolly!



I am teaching my 4 and 5 year olds in Sunday School..."God gives us what we need". Really...this is so true!!! Look what God provided for me today!

I opened my book, Seasons of a Woman's Heart today, opened up a section called Childhood and there was the devotional for the day....

A Child's Cry by Shirley Dobson
(please forgive me, Shirley, I made a few changes in your devotional to fit my family situation)

I was the daughter of a confirmed alcoholic. I could never ask a friend to spend the night for fear my father would return in a drunken stupor. He would stumble home, belligerent and foulmouthed. We would be awakened by his shouting and hide to avoid his wrath.

It was through the wisdom of my mother that I survived the emotional pressure of those years. She was a strong woman and marshaled all of her resources to hold our family together. More importantly, mom convinced her 9 children that she loved us. She had the wisdom to know that she needed help in raising that many kids and people from all around came to the aid of our family.

An area congregation brought church to our one room schoolhouse in our little town. In that little building, I was introduced to Jesus and invited Him into my heart and life. He became my special friend, and I've never been the same since.

As I look back on painful experiences of childhood, I am overwhelmed with gratitude to God. He heard the desperate cries of a family who could offer nothing in return. We had no status, no special abilities, no money to contribute, yet the Creator of the universe entered that little room and communed with us about the difficulties we were experiencing. It is awesome to realize that He loved us just as we were, and our pain became His pain.

In my distress I called to the Lord; I cried to my God for help. He heard my voice; my cry came before Him, into his ears. -Psalm 18:6

5 sisters, 4 brothers and a little bitty mama...
We have been though so much together....as well as apart....

Susie- God allowed your past to strengthen your present. Receive His healing and use it to help others!


Susie came to South Dakota to say good-bye nearly 5 years ago. The sisters did make a trip to Texas to see her once since then, but she has not been home in a very long time!


We never could track down Kristy for a picture of all 5 of us while we were visiting in Texas!

Sister
A sister is a reflection of us in the mirror,
And as the years go by, similarities are clearer.
For sisters have a tie that is bound with love,
Sharing, caring and blessings from above.
Giggles, secrets and lots of tears...
Sisters and friends throughout the years.
The bond of sisters stands the test of time.
And I'm so blessed that you are mine

We have been missing sister, Susie.
She's leaving on a jet plane!
Can't wait to see her and "hug her neck"!

Praying for a safe flight to South Dakota!!!!! Oh, and give us strength for the journey! It should be lots of hugs, lots of tears, lots of laughs, lots of memories, lots of nights with little sleep, and lots and lots of coffee! Thank you Lord for this opportunity to see sister Susie!

1 comment:

Annie said...

What a wonderful way to honor your sister! Hope you girls have a blast!!!