Monday, May 30, 2011

Proud


They gathered beneath a giant of a tree, not just swaying in the breeze, but rocking, whipping, towering over the guests who had gathered to pay tribute to those, gone before, who had provided great service to this country.



They came bearing humility, sadness, presenting gifts of flags once presented to them after their own losses.They came with pride in their lost loved ones who gave so much, and now, the flag will carry the name of that loved one, flying in the "Avenue of Flags" and his name will be uttered each year as we come together to remember. This is the least we can do.



They came with words, with flags, with gun salutes, with prayers, and with honor and pride.

They came with songs. I was honored to stand beside Uncle Harlan~He too gave so much.

"And I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free, and I won't forget the men who died and gave that right to me, and I'll gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today, 'cause there ain't no doubt, I love this land! God Bless the USA"!



I realize that pride can be considered a bad thing. In fact, there are many bible references to tell us that pride is not desirable, but I believe that to mean when it totally takes over ones life, when it becomes all there is and all that is important. There is the kind of pride that "in his pride, the wicked does not seek him".



On the other hand, I am sure God believes in the kind of satisfaction in a job well done. When we are humble and realize that we need God and we could not have done it on our own, that is pride with the spirit of humility that I am sure sure God understands.






My Uncle Harlan, proud to be an American, and very deserving of that pride.
I am proud of you too! Thank you for MY freedom.


....lest we forget.....




Look up, there's our flag!
We can count every star,--
And the red, blue, and white,
How lovely they are!

Floating high, floating wide,--
We can see it from far,
Our flag, it's the flag,
We can count every star!

In the sun, in the wind,
Do its bright colors shine.
O look at the flag,
It is yours, it is mine!
~Nancy Byrd Turner

1 comment:

Thoughts for the day said...

Beautiful post thank you for sharing it on this 'memorial day'.