Sunday, August 16, 2009

Happy Birthday

Another year-



A new scrapbook page- people say I look like Mom more and more all the time.
I actually love that. She was a beauty!


An old birthday card-
An old birthday letter. I could always count on her to say...."sorry you have to start school on your birthday....you work too hard....you have enough work to do around the farm."
The cards and letters have stopped arriving each year....I am so glad I saved some.





A bit of journaling I scanned from one of my books-trying to remember things-

I have been writing down some of these things in my scrapbooks-
Another of her specialties...Little Marissa, when she was very small, would always ask Grandma for her tomato soup. No matter how I tried, it didn't taste as good as hers.
This is Mom's recipe, complete with spills!!! Now, safely in my scrapbook!



Braylyn "helping" freeze corn. She got so dirty we ran out of little girl clothes!

She had fun "cleaning up" in the pool!

It really does not take all that much to make me miss my mama, but this corn season brings about some very vivid memories....that, and going to church this morning, we sang one of her favorite songs, "Sprit Song"..."Oh let the Son of God enfold you with His spirit and His love. Let Him fill your hear and satisfy your soul. Oh, let Him have the things that hold you, and His sprit like a dove, will descent upon your life and make you whole. Jesus, Oh Jesus, come and fill your lambs. Jesus, Oh, Jesus, come and fill your lambs. Oh, come and sing this song with gladness and your hearts are filled with joy. Lift your hands in sweet surrender to His name. Oh give Him all your tears and sadness; Give him all your years of pain, and you'll enter into life in Jesus' name."

I usually make it as far as: "Give Him all your tears and sadness, give Him all your years of pain..."

This one of the songs Mom chose for her funeral. She had a lot of heartache, many years of pain and sorrow, but she looked at each day as a gift. She lived the words of this song, and we sat with her as she lifted her hands in sweet surrender to His name. She gave Him all her tears and sadness, all her years of pain, and we have NO DOUBT that she has entered into life in Jesus' name.

All these things remind me of her.....that and one more birthday without that card and letter.

I am blessed by another year, blessed by my faith, blessed by my family, blessed by my friends, and blessed to have learned from the best!

Please continue prayers for my sister, Linda. She did well in surgery but is now suffering from headaches. Pray that these subside for her and that they are simply a result of the surgery and will be gone! Love you forever, Linda Lou!!! Thanks for the birthday note first thing today!

5 comments:

Billy Coffey said...

Happy Birthday, Carol! Love those pictures.

Sunshine Mama said...

This post got me teary-eyed. First, Happy Birthday, Carol. Second, it was so nice to read about your mother and see the impact she had on your life...the positve impact. It makes me want to have a similar impact on my kids' lives too. Great post.

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Oh Carol ... Lovely, lovely pages. I love your heart. So glad I got to tell you Happy Birthday in person, too! It was good talking to you.

I finally was able to get back on Blogger. Whew ...

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

Happy Belated Birthday, sweet friend. I know the ache of missing your mom...I so miss my mom always...but more intensely with each season change. And, especially on my birthday. It's a special day that we share with our mamas. They are the first ones we met...the first to love us. And our birthday is never as special to someone else as it is to her.

Love and Prayers...

Warren Baldwin said...

Happy Birthday, Carol. I just celebrated my 50th - had a couple of pictures posted about that.

Looks like you have a wonderful family. I enjoyed looking at the photos.

Well, have to finish looking over my lesson for this morning. Thanks for your recent visits to Family Fountain. I look forward to coming back and visiting here.

Warren