Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Christmas At My House

I do not have the nicest of houses...I do not have the nicest of decorations....but this is what it is, always a bit sappy, most things have a meaning or were a gift to me from someone special. I pray you are enjoying the season. It isn't about the decorations. It isn't about the gifts. It isn't about the weather....It is all about family...saying hello to some...saying goodbye to others. The flowers were fragrant with spruce and dotted with berries. The weather was cold, but the sun was peaking out for us as we watched and listened to the 21 gun salute and as the flag was presented with honor and thanks. There were tears, there was laughter, there was food, lots of food, there were hugs and family and friends, and memories...lots of memories. We were so blessed to have George in our lives and in our family. He was a dear, gentle man, who is spending Christmas in heaven with his son and with the Son. I was honored to sing for his service. The 8 grandsons were beautiful....dressed up in shirt and tie...proud to carry their Grandpa. It is a special Christmas this year, George's first.... Not the end, but a glorious new beginning......

An undone ornament - found in Mom's sewing box-

Guardian of the tree-

I renewed some old ornaments with a little glitter-

My Willow Tree collection housed in a cabinet made by George.

An angel from my angel sister, Ginny-

A small part of my collection of old world Santas-

A new arrangement I made after "shopping the house"!

One of my favorite angels! I gave it to Mom once.
Now, it has a special place at my house!

Grandpa George's Super 77-

http://nestingplacenc.blogspot.com/ - I found this site that says, "It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful". Check out the Nesting Place to see some great Christmas decorations.

14 comments:

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

I love the phrase "shopping the house."

I'm sure your decorations are filled with meaning. I love your flare for design -- and how each piece seems to have a story.

Diane Johnson said...

Hi Carol,
Lovely collections and special treasures. How fun to have items you collect. I'm learning more and more about you through this blog, even though I've known you for years.
Wishing you and yours all the Christmas Blessings the days ahead can hold.

Little Oak Table said...

i like the john deere tractor next to the greenery! very special!

Unknown said...

Your decorations are beautiful! I love the Willow Tree collection! And who can resist the Santa's! Everything looks GREAT!

Paula said...

AHH this was so sweet. Brought me tears. Thanks for sharing your special memories! Gotta love the special people in our lives more than the things of this world. Amen!

Anonymous said...

Carol, everything looks festive. Just the way that Christmas should be.

Lesley said...

I think you have the nicest decorations...because they are special....

Anonymous said...

Your home is beautiful, I love it all. Thanks for sharing your home with us.

cheryl said...

Love the Willow Tree collection. That nativity is on my wish list. ;o)

Totallyscrappy said...

I love Willow Tree, so I appreciate your lovely display.
Just today I said to a guest, "I invite you to bless you, not impress you." :)

Carly said...

I too love Willow Tree - what a beautiful collection you have.

Thanks for sharing your lovely home.

Merry Christmas,
Carly

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like George will be missed. My father received the same ceremony shortly after Christmas a few years back. Amazing, wasn't it?

You have many lovely Christmas decorations to treasure. I see that you treasure the important things more.

So glad you joined in the tour with us.

Merry Christmas from She Lives!

Carrie said...

Love the Willow Tree's ... they are my fav. Could George make me a cabinet like that ... it's beautiful! I loved that you shared the meaning of your decor with us.
Thank you for sharing and have a very Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Your decorations and home are BOTH lovely! My house is not new and the new decorations I have are cheap, but they make me happy and that is what matters. I have an angel from my mom's funeral that is out all year, but has greenery around it now. Those are nice things to have.

Merry Christmas!!