Thursday, December 4, 2008

Our Little Corner of the World


You know me, "Altered Art" girl. I can not resist playing with my photos-



I love working with angles and colors!
I had to go to the dentist today. That was NOT beautiful! It was a long, hard appointment, and it really wore me out, but I had to take time off of school to get that much work done, and I had time to take a leisurely route. I decided to take some pictures at Klondike. Now, Klondike is pretty much history, but does have a beautiful old bridge, reminiscent of a bridge I haunted as a child in Beloit, Ia. My brothers climbed to the top. There were some who fished from it. I am not sure, but I think there may have been some jumping or "swinging from" involved. I only braved walking across it, shaking in tandem with the creaky old bridge, and standing somewhere near the edge so I could throw a rock or two. We dug in the silty sand beneath it, learned to swim in it, used sleds to slide down the banks and hoped to continue sliding across the ice. We attempted ice skating on it. Dad would take an ax, chop a hole in the ice and we would all stand and jump on the ice, hoping to cause water to rise up out of the hole he had made and add another layer to the ice. Pretty dangerous I think, but we didn't know it then. It was great fun! I have been trying to take some "cool" photos of my Christmas decor, but, let's face it, my home does not have a spot reserved in any Home and Garden or House Beautiful magazine, so I decided to stick with God's beauty. It is cold, God, but thank You for Your abundant beauty here in our little corner of the world.... Iowa, just before the deep freeze arrives and the waters cease to flow. Enjoy "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon and Garfunkel.

5 comments:

Lavonda Pflug said...

Beautiful post. I'm not sure I would like living where the water ceases to flow in the winter, but I would love to see it! We have deep freezes in the Texas Panhandle, but we also have quick warm-ups. (Thank goodness)
Stay warm and keep taking those wonderful pictures. Thanks for sharing them and thanks for visiting me @ What's Up!

janelle said...

Carol - love the pictures; I love that bridge too! There is beauty here, every where really, sometimes we just need to look for it - but it's there!

{darlene} said...

You have a wonderful eye! Gorgeous photos.

Susan Tuttle said...

Great photos! -- great angles! Photoshop sure is addictive, isn't it?!

Thank you so much for the very heartwarming comment you left on my blog.

I am having a giveaway contest for my new book over at my blog -- come see.

Susan

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Wow. Amazing photos.