Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Big Birthday Coming Up!



Well, as most of the world knows, I am one of the last of the class of '76 to reach the monumental BIG 5-0. You know what, it has taken me 50 years to get to where I am right now and it isn't too bad. I have decided in the last year that it was time to get off my pity party, shape up and take care of myself. I am making a scrapbook page called, "God's Gift - 50 years". I plan to make a list of 50 things that I like about being 50. I have 13 days before the big event, but I am being reminded of it every day. Like I have been telling my friends, I like this blogging thing. I can keep track of myself, I can talk to myself, I can talk as much as I want, I don't have to share the talking time with anyone, I can talk about myself, and I can tell myself that things are going great!!! The earlier is my first official school photo taken in 3rd grade in Alvord, Iowa, under the supervision of Miss Hamran. My dress was olive green velvet and mom put black brush curlers in the top of my hair. The rest was too short to roll! I went to a one room school in Beloit before 3rd grade. I was at the top of my class in 2nd grade (There were 2 of us!). I think there were 9 kids left when the school closed: Susie Nichols, Ginny Nichols, Carol Nichols, Tom Nichols, Don Lems, Susan Kumlien, Allen Kumlien, Mona Gardner and Sherman Gardner. I went to summer school in Inwood because we thought we should "get used to town school" and "get used to riding the bus". I did end up loving West Lyon, left for college and worked elsewhere for 7 years, but I am back teaching there and loving it still!!!! Anyway, if anyone has any good things to add to my list of "good things about being 50", please send me a comment or email. I would love to hear what you have to say on the subject! Thanks. Carol chilfarm3@alliancecom.net

No comments: